[Ur] Feedback and questions

Artyom Shalkhakov artyom.shalkhakov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 03:28:58 EST 2009

2009/12/23, Adam Chlipala <adamc at impredicative.com>:
> Would you mind opening a Mantis issue for each of these problems?
>      http://www.impredicative.com/mantis/

Sorry, should have done it earlier.

>> Is REPL functionality planned?
>>

> I'm not planning that for any time soon.  Since the only compiler is
> whole-program, a REPL would require significant extra implementation.

Hm, okay. Is it possible to invoke the compiler for syntax analysis
and type-checking then? Something like "urweb --typecheck foo".

> Benjamin Pierce's "Types and Programming Languages" should be an
> adequate introduction, though it also covers many topics that are not
> needed.

Thanks for the suggestion. What would you say about "Type theory and
functional programming" by Simon Thompson?

> I've tried to design Ur/Web so that it's fairly straightforward
> to stick to the ML-like fragment, with the main possible source of
> confusion being error messages that mention advanced features
> explicitly.

Speaking of error messages, sometimes they are extraordinarily long.
OTOH, knowing just the error location is enough most of the time.

>  I'm also planning to, in the next few months, create a wiki
> where different kinds of learning material can be maintained.

This would be great. BTW, the existing examples are understandable and
most importantly, up to the point (comparing to documentation of one
well-known "framework" of one scripting language).

Cheers,
Artyom Shalkhakov.