[Ur] Demo app not responding to urls.. other compiled programs work

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Fri Oct 23 18:46:02 EDT 2009

Daniel Patterson wrote:
> Written 23.10.2009 at 05:37 pm, Adam Chlipala <adamc at impredicative.com>:
>
>> Which command line did you use to build the demo executable?
>> Following the directions in the online tutorial demo works fine for me.
>>

> I built with the command specified in the tutorial:
> urweb -dbms sqlite -db demo.db -demo Demo demo

The tutorial command line includes "-demo /Demo", not "-demo Demo".  I
expect that's the problem.

> The errors on a compile of Demo:
> [daniel at kry urweb]$ urweb -dbms sqlite -db demo.db -demo Demo demo
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> /tmp/filexqFPOA/webapp.c: In function ‘__uwn_wrap_delete_1656’:
> /tmp/filexqFPOA/webapp.c:5384: error: pointer type mismatch in
> conditional expression

Ah.  That's an SQLite-specific bug that I just discovered recently.  I
don't think you'll run into it if you use one of the other DBMSes, and
the fix will be in the next release.  I'm not ready to push that change
to the public repository yet, because it's wrapped up with some other
ongoing work.

> Side question - any way to get the demo not to spawn an emacs process
> on every file when it compiles? (if it doesnt do that for anyone else
> I'll dig around and figure out what's going on with my platform, but I
> figure it is something that can be stopped easily).

It would be possible to change the -demo option not to do that, but it's
important for generating the syntax-highlighted versions of source
files.  Emacs started in batch/console mode uses different font colors,
which leads to ugly highlighting.  It's important to me to be able to
spawn GUI Emacs processes to do the coloring.