[Ur] Ur Digest, Vol 9, Issue 3

Adam Granicz adam.granicz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 16:48:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM, <ur-request at impredicative.com> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:48:10 +0200
> From: nitralime <nitralime at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ur] A few questions
> To: The Ur programming language <ur at impredicative.com>
>
> *Hi Adam*,
>
> Where can I find more details about the architecture of Ur/Web "framework"?
>
> Almost every web framework on the market enthuses about  the "MVC" pattern.
> Each of them forces in someway a separation of content, logic and view.
> For a traditional data centric web applications such a separation of
> concerns
> could be a huge advantage during development process.
> What is the ansatz of Ur/Web?
>
> As you surely know, there are also some growing tendencies
> towards SPI (Single Page Interface) and RIA (Rich Internet Application).
> For this sort of applications one needs a solid GUI toolkit.
> As far as I know there are two different approches for providing GUI:
>    1) using a prebuilt JavaScript GUI toolkit wrapped in some APIs
>        which in ideal case integrate seamlessly into the core framework
>    2) [[a subset of the framework's core language) --> JavaScript]]
> compiler
>        which provides the GUI toolkit
>
> The first alternative can be "easily" realized by taking some web framework
> and
> a decent JavaScript GUI toolkit like TIBCO General Interface, Javeline,
> dhtmlx,
> Qooxdoo, (to some extent flapjax) etc. and writing some glue codes!
>
> The second approach is more fundamental. To the best of my knowledge
> HOP and Links are the only frameworks that implement it properly.
>
> There are also Java oriented frameworks like ZK and Vaadin
> that follow a similar design concept.
>
> What about Ur/Web?
> Can Ur/Web also be used for RIA?
>
> Regards
> Nik

Hi Nik,

We have a near-full F# to Javascript translator as part of our WebSharper
platform.  WebSharper is client-based and enables rapid RIA development -
more info at:

http://www.websharper.com

New demos and tutorials are on the way.  WebSharper doesn't use dependent
types, but it does give you all the nifty features of F#, including active
patterns, units of measure, ADTs, etc. - and the resulting web applications
are stunningly easier and quicker to develop than with ASP.NET or PHP.

Cheers,
Adam.

--
Adam Granicz, IntelliFactory