[Ur] NEW USER NEED HELP WITH INSTALLATION

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 07:25:25 EST 2010

Excerpts from sampath kirupa shankar's message of Wed Dec 01 05:45:09 +0100 2010:
> Hi everybody,
> I am Kirupashankar Sampath, a grad student at CSU Fresno, CA. I am interested in Ur and have started a project of proving the safety theorems of Ur language. I am not able to install Ur from the instructions on the home page. I have a windows vista.....could anybody please give me a step by step procedure for the installation. Thank you.

If a shell is good enough I can provide an account which is able to run
urweb easily (running nixos linux).
Send me an email if you're interested.

For windows you have the following options:

- linux using virtualization (eg virtualbox) (32 and 64bit)

- linux using a linux kernel which urns natively on Windows (eg colinux,
  32bit only)

- try cygwin (probably nobody has tried running urweb on cygwin before.
  So if you want to get started I'd not spend too much time on it -
  depending on settings cygwin also executes slower due to permission
  checkings etc - Thus its likely that you would be spending more time
  than necessary on configuring etc )

If you have virtualizing support in your computer virtualbox will be the
most simple solution to get up a linux system running because networking
just works etc.

By the way: WRITING UPPER case only could be considered shouting - writing
everything in upper case will triggers a "this is spam" feeling in my
mind. So I tend to delete mails like this without reading.
Maybe that's because I missed it in the first place (?)

regards
Marc Weber