[Ur] Strategy - UrWeb Backend

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Dec 7 18:56:13 EST 2010

Excerpts from Adam Chlipala's message of Wed Dec 08 00:40:43 +0100 2010:
> Which benefits do you see from server-side JavaScript?  I'll be really
> surprised if any such system can get over the inherent costs of the
> JavaScript language, to match the performance and security of Ur/Web.

Performance does no longer matter much (unless you're Amazon - or
google) - because servers are so cheap compared to development time -
and they will be even cheaper tomorrow.

Benefits of JS target:
 - never think about memory
 - interface to existing code more easily (?)
 - existing hosting services (heroku)

You already said that you don't want to target the masses. Having some
more users helping testing would be fine though :)

Writing tutorials is probably more important right now than having
NodeJS support. If there are enough skilled users someone will pick it
up and implement it anyway (?)

Marc Weber