[Ur] More questions

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Dec 12 21:03:23 EST 2010

Excerpts from Adam Chlipala's message of Mon Dec 13 01:33:11 +0100 2010:
>      http://adam.chlipala.net/tmp/test.c
gcc-4.4.3 (-O0)
It only prints "Outer" once.

Should I also try other gcc versions?

> With my GCC (and presumably with Marc's, too), it prints only one line
> of output, though I was expecting two.  It seems GCC is dropping certain
> side effects that occur inside struct initializers in certain contexts.
> That is the root cause of the dropped SQL side effects from the larger
> example.
So I'm happy that I didn't try debugging it.
This kind of external issue is something which should be catched by test
suites. That's why we should start one. New gcc versions will be
released. Code will break. We don't want live systems to catch them.

> My reasoning here was that it would be way too easy to accidentally
> delete all rows from a table.  The need to include an explicit 'WHERE'
> clause is a kind of "are you sure?" prompt.
-> http://impredicative.com/wiki/index.php/Won't_fix
Nobody else will propose this again :)

Thank you!
Marc Weber