[Ur] little benchmark on querying a table only

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Dec 20 02:29:25 EST 2010

Excerpts from Gian Perrone's message of Mon Dec 20 07:58:21 +0100 2010:
> I'm not sure how one is meant to interpret these results, exactly, but
> I'm not convinced that PHP _is_ faster according to the benchmark you've
> posted there.  The 'user' and 'system' values are smaller for the Ur
> implementations.  What is the final 'total' column meant to mean?  I
> thought the output from 'ab' indicated how many requests you can serve
> per second in total, and hence a larger number in the final column would
> be better?

Its the time output of zsh. ab is the benchmark tool which ships with
apache. So you don't see the CPU time of the server process, but the one
of the benchmark tool. The "total" time is the time it takes until you
see the shell prompt again.
I also compared with http -t20 and -c 10 (concurrency). Apache + PHP was
a lot faster as well.

PHP time drops very fast if you start load configuration options loading
classes. In a real application urweb would outperform PHP very fast.

Marc Weber