[Ur] little benchmark on querying a table only

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Dec 20 03:33:21 EST 2010

Excerpts from Gian Perrone's message of Mon Dec 20 08:34:23 +0100 2010:
> I see.  Is the server and client running on the same machine?  If they
> are, I can't see that as being a particularly valid test.
yes. I don't see why this would make the test totally useless?
Caching may take place. Usually I run the same test multiple times
eg PHP - Ur - PHP - Ur
If the first and second run differ significantly I hit something you
described. But this time I didn't.

I reran the test using 10,000 rows:
  urweb:  24.816 tota
  php:    0.502 total

This time I even used

instead of echo "..."; in PHP.
its still faster.
Adding ob_start(); (output caching) doesn't make a big difference.

Of course you don't serve 10,000 rows usually.

I also retried with one row only. Then the difference gets smaller.

So the speed difference occurs somewhere from querying to concatenating
the output.

Marc Weber