[Ur] Announcing an OpenID library

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Sun Jan 2 11:33:50 EST 2011

I've posted a public Mercurial repo for an OpenID relying party library:
     http://hg.impredicative.com/openid
As is often the case, this library requires the latest version of Ur/Web
from its public repo.

Quick primer on what the first line of this message means:
OpenID is an increasingly popular protocol for distributed
authentication.  With this library, users can log into your application
with their passwords for Google, Yahoo!, and many other participating
providers.  Even better, they can do so without having to tell you their
passwords; instead, the provider sends your app guarantees about who is
who.  The whole process is suitably crypto-ized such that you can trust
that identity providers are really making the claims your app is told
that they are making.

There is a test application in tests/test.urp.  The library
documentation is in the form of comments in src/ur/openid.urs.

P.S.: I noticed that, the last time I announced repos for separate
libraries, someone added them to a wiki page about libraries and FFI
bindings.  I have no problem with that, of course, but I'm also linking
to libraries from the main (static) Ur page.  I hope that I'll have the
opportunity eventually to add links to other libraries that have my
personal blessing.  For now, none of the others from the wiki page pass
that bar for me, since they allow very bad interactions with Ur/Web
transactions.