[Ur] Binary builds/formula of Ur/Web available for OS X & Homebrew users

austin seipp as at hacks.yi.org
Sat Jul 16 18:15:58 EDT 2011

Dear OS X users,

For all of you who are Homebrew users, and like Ur/Web, I've taken the
liberty of making a homebrew formula for our beloved project. While it
can build from source, the compile can take a lot of RAM and a good
10-15 minutes or so (even on my modern macbook,) so I've also included
a binary build of homebrew too for your convenience - this should take
very little time to install in comparison. I've currently put in a
pull request to merge this formula into the mainline homebrew
repository. It may not make it. It might get pushed back to
homebrew-alt. I'm not sure. But I thought some people out there - like
me - may enjoy having simple binaries available that can be installed
quickly and will be updated quickly. And these should always be pretty
up to date.

The compiler binary is dynamically linked to gmp, so the formula
depends on it and nothing else. The formula does not mark sqlite,
postgres or mysql as dependencies. This is to make the install as
minimal as possible - you can go install these things through brew in
the usual way. The compiler doesn't even need these libraries anyway,
only compiled programs might. mlton is not a dependency for the binary
either - it's installed if you build from source however.

I am providing the binary of the compiler on my web server, so there's
a Question of Trust. Also, the binary tarball has had light testing
and hasn't seen much of the world besides my machine - I would
*really* appreciate it if some OS X users out there could try it out
and tell me if it works for them, and if not, yell loudly and throw
things. If you don't trust me, or for some reason the binary does not
work, you can also build from source.

TL;DR: if you trust me, install the binary version by doing:

$ brew install https://raw.github.com/thoughtpolice/homebrew/urweb/Library/Formula/urweb.rb

If you do not trust me, install from source by doing this (will
install mlton too):

$ brew install https://raw.github.com/thoughtpolice/homebrew/urweb/Library/Formula/urweb.rb
--build-from-source

You can uninstall it by just doing