[Ur] my 2nd day on UR .... chomping my way through Ur/Web tutorial ....

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Tue Jul 19 08:38:01 EDT 2011

Vasili I. Galchin wrote:
> Hello,
>
>        In Step 2, when I launched urblog.exe on kubuntu I received
> .... in addition please see results of "ps -ef | grep postgres" below
>
> vasili at Komputer:~/UrWebTutorial/urblog$ Initialization error triggers
> bounded retry: Connection to Postgres server failed: FATAL:  Ident
> authentication failed for user "vasili"

As Gergely has indicated, this issue is more or less independent of
Ur/Web.  You haven't configured your application to authenticate to
Postgres, in a way that Postgres is happy with.  The details of
authentication are treated opaquely; whatever string you include in the
'database' directive of your .urp file is passed off to libpq
uninterpreted.  Presumably you're not passing a password, and you also
haven't told Postgres that user "vasili" should be allowed to
authenticate via ident, which doesn't require passwords.  How did you
create the database user and database?  Perhaps you have an unusual
pg_hba.conf configuration file that has weird restrictions on ident?

> BTW in "step one" of the tutorial  when I ran urblog.exe and ran a
> client browser (Firefox) against the urblog.exe I did NOT get a
> "UrBlog" message on the Firefox instance. I suspect I am having
> firewall problems with localhost(loopback) .... yes??

Now I see you're following Gian's tutorial and not my new one, which
focuses on more arcane stuff. :)

Are you saying that when you visited
http://localhost:8080/Urblog/main
you saw something besides what you expect?