[Ur] serving css from urweb

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Thu Jun 23 17:33:29 EDT 2011

Zach Tatlock wrote:
> There is also the Links system:
> http://groups.inf.ed.ac.uk/links/
>
> which I haven't looked into, but seems similar to Ur/Web in that it
> also addresses several of my above concerns.  How does it compare to
> Ur/Web?  Less fancy types?

Fundamental differences, in my mind, have to do with:
     1) Less expressive type system in Links, so that sophisticated,
statically-typed metaprogramming is impossible.  (This is connected to a
requirement of building more features into the language, rather than
exposing them to the programmer via a richly-typed standard library.)
     2) Less seriousness about capability-based security.  For instance,
any library used in a Links application may access any database table,
cookie, or DOM element whose string name it can supply/guess (which is
not at all true in Ur/Web).

I've also heard that Links has not yet had the extra effort put into it
to make it a truly practical tool, and that the present and likely
future state of the Links development team is not such that we should
expect further pushes in that direction.