[Ur] File I/O

James Parker jp at jamesparker.me
Tue Nov 1 20:36:49 EDT 2011

Hi Marc and Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

> As Marc noted, standard file IO APIs are incompatible with Ur/Web's transactional model.  I'm not a big fan of files, in any context.  If you explain what your underlying goal is, then we may be able to suggest good ways to achieve it in Ur/Web.

Just as an introductory exercise, I was attempting to modify the upload example to store the uploaded file to disk. Then when requested, users could download the previously uploaded files.

> You can work around it by remembering what to store in which file and
> writing to disk at the end at commit time. Anyway for that reason you
> should think twice about whether files are the right storage if you want
> to use the filesystem for storing data.

Are there any examples of writing to disk at commit time? I'd rather not store files in the database.

Thanks,

James Parker