[Ur] NEW USER NEED HELP WITH INSTALLATION

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Wed Nov 30 08:07:22 EST 2011

sampath kirupa shankar wrote:
> I have installed urweb on to my school's server and when i try to
> compile using the command "urweb urblog" it gives me the follwing errors
>
> /tmp/fileBpB3id/webapp.o: In function `uw_cookie_sig':
> webapp.c:(.text+0xe1): undefined reference to `uw_hash_blocksize'

This symbol and most of the others come from liburweb.so.  I don't know
why GCC isn't seeing that library, but my first guess (since you said
it's your school's server) is you either didn't run 'make install'
(perhaps because you noticed your user doesn't have permission to
install to standard directories) or you did run 'make install' but
haven't set your $LDPATH properly so that GCC knows where to find the
Ur/Web shared libraries.

Further details are really beyond the scope of this list.  However, you
shouldn't need to install Ur/Web on the _server_ you run applications
on, as long as you develop locally on a machine with the same operating
system and standard libraries.  You can compile with the '-static' flag
to package everything into a standalone executable, ready to upload.