[Ur] urweb-mode.el improvements

Timothy Beyer beyert at fastmail.net
Mon Apr 9 22:48:49 EDT 2012

At Mon, 09 Apr 2012 09:15:35 -0400,
Adam Chlipala wrote:
> This is the coloring performance issue?  Would be great to see it solved!

I probably should have used the term "font locking" instead of "font coloring",
(I was lazy with the terminology) but yes, I do intend to address that issue.

I'm hoping that my current changes to make it work in XEmacs already accomplish
this, but I haven't profiled the performance yet.  I want to use a really large
ur file (if one exists) to use as a benchmark when doing the
profiling. (Hopefully with ~10000+ lines of code).  I am not sure if my current
changes are significantly faster, since thus, far I've only viewed fairly small
ur files.  I'm also trying to improve the detection relative to the current
font-locking code, as my version has a few bugs that need to be worked out.

Ideally, I'd like to make the part that checks for xml regions to be entirely a
regular expression, but I'm not sure if that is possible.  In the
non-(urweb-in-xml) version that I was working on, if another <xml> tag occurs
before an </xml> tag, it doesn't yet know to stop on the second </xml> tag, it
stops at the first </xml> tag, which seems a bit disappointing.

> I've gotten used to the existing style, so I vote for the custom
> variable, and I'd rather get the sml-mode behavior by default.  (I'm one
> of the rare folks whose first Emacs experience was with SML and
> sml-mode, so it's natural to me. :])

I'll update my patch for that to use the custom variable then, that will be
ready soon.  I'll try to it on more ur files as well.

Regards,
Tim