[Ur] Issues with automake 1.12

Lance Hepler nlhepler at gmail.com
Sat May 12 15:08:31 EDT 2012

Hello ladies and gents,

I propose one of the two following patches for configure.ac and/or
Makefile.am to deal with issues in automake 1.12:

Both patches add the AM_PROG_AR pragma which automake 1.12 seems to require.

The first patch just adds a -Wno-portability flag to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to
prevent "warning: ':='-style assignments are not portable" errors. The
latter actually just patches the uses of := in Makefile.am, addressing the
warnings presented. Not wanting to make stylistic choices, I provide both
patches here.

Best,

Lance

Tony Hoare on software architecture:

"There are two ways of constructing a software design:
One way is to make it so simple
that there are obviously no deficiencies,
and the other way is to make it so complicated
that there are no obvious deficiencies.
The first method is far more difficult."