[Ur] Calling an Ur/Web function from Javascript

Istvan Chung istvan at vivatropolis.org
Sun Apr 7 20:50:04 EDT 2013

On 04/07/2013 08:15 PM, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> On 04/07/2013 06:57 PM, Istvan Chung wrote:
>> I'm trying to use the FFI to call an Ur/Web function from
>> javascript, but there's very little in the manual about this; how
>> can I do this? At present, anything I've tried has failed at
>> compile time with the error: "Unsupported FFI function
>> Module.functionName in JavaScript"
>>

> There is no facility for referring to Ur/Web-defined identifiers
> from JavaScript code, whether or not those identifiers are bound
> to functions.  However, you can pass Ur/Web functions to
> JavaScript functions as first-class values, at which point you can
> call them in the usual execF() way documented in the manual's FFI
> section.
Yes, the passing of an Ur/Web function was what triggered the error
message.

> The error message above is a little surprising to me, though.  How
> does [Module.functionName] come into this?  Also, since that's an
> urweb error message, what does it have to do with JavaScript code?
By this I meant that Ur/Web had the (actual) name of the Ur/Web
function there which I had tried to pass as a first-class value into
javascript; I just wrote "Module.functionName" instead of the actual
name of the module and function.

--
Istvan Chung