[Ur] Error triggers unlimited retry

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Tue Aug 6 09:49:34 EDT 2013

On 08/06/2013 09:42 AM, Sergey Mironov wrote:
> I'm facing following error message while running examples
>
> Error triggers unlimited retry: Couldn't allocate new heap chunk
> contiguously; increasing size to 128
>
> What does it mean? Is it dangerous?

Ah, a perfect question to follow up on my reply to the last question,
warning against exposing non-transactional effectful operations with the
FFI. :D

No, this error message isn't dangerous.  It just means that the runtime
system decided to roll back and restart a transaction, to allow
allocation of more memory.  (Ur/Web doesn't use garbage collection, so a
transaction restarts whenever a conventional garbage-collected system
would instead grow the heap and copy old objects over.)

In particular, you should expect to see the message you quoted several
times at the start of each thread, as it grows its heap size
exponentially to fit the requirements of the requests it receives.