[Ur] Best practices for Mercurial + autogeneration of files?

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Wed Jul 17 11:12:27 EDT 2013

A few people have suggested changing the Ur/Web repository so that
autogenerated files like 'configure' are not included.  There's a Mantis
issue here:
     http://www.impredicative.com/mantis/view.php?id=158

Here's my question, which is about an issue not addressed directly in
the text of that "bug report": What would be the best way to package a
version control snapshot as a source distribution?  Right now, I use the
'hg archive' command, which builds a tarball directly from the
repository.  There is no need to worry about accidentally including
generated files that should not be distributed.  Would it be necessary
to get much fancier, with a 'tar' filename blacklist or whitelist, if I
want to distribute a generated 'configure' file along with other sources
drawn directly from the repo?