[Ur] What about a new project - general purpose ur like language which collaborates with existing languages?

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Wed Nov 20 07:55:17 EST 2013

On 11/19/2013 09:42 PM, Marc Weber wrote:
> urweb is nice, and it shines if you use it in its solution space.
> However real world applications also need
>    - migrations

That sounds like an Ur/Web feature request, not a reason for a new language!

>    - may have to connect to multiple databases
>      (Yes, I know I could reimplement mysql access using C bindings, but
>      why?)

This, too, though probably I'd be less likely to implement it myself.
(I'd be happy to accept a reasonable patch, though.)

Vladimir Shabanov is combining Haskell and Ur/Web to good effect at
bazqux.com, BTW.

> But why stop here? Why not allow to instantiate such a BinarySearchTree
> by telling the compile
> - which memory management to use
> - which target language
> - ..

These other ideas are too nebulous to me, to allow me to make any kind
of judgment about how much sense they make.  I think I personally
wouldn't have the energy to get much involved in such a project in the
near future, but I'd certainly be interested to watch any progress.

My research group does have some ongoing work on creating tools to make
it easier to implement fancy languages like Ur/Web, and I would hope
those tools will some day make a good starting point for project(s) like
you propose!