[Ur] What about a new project - general purpose ur like language which collaborates with existing languages?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Nov 21 12:37:56 EST 2013

> Generating PHP or Node.js code defeats the purpose of Ur/Web to be safe
> (and fast) language for the web.
JavaScript is interesting because
- it as gc, thus you can write even desktop application in it
- js is reasonably fast.
- ur already supports JS generation.

http://appjs.com/
http://www.tidesdk.org/
And many/many more (never tested any of those).

Languages like Haskell show that it takes quite some time to get
bindings to GTK/QT and so on. That's why "escaping at a different
language which already does this" could be of interest in some specific
cases.

Sometimes you may have to feed a database with "many" data.
Eg importing data with "inserts" only to mysql even using PHP makes the
php process idle and mysql run at 100%. And this may take 8h.
I know about mysqlimport and LOAD data as alternative. But even then an
important of huge data sets can take long.

Another use case would be exploring "migrations" without hacking the
compiler etc.

By targeting js "nodejs" would be toy, writing applications would be
funnier.

Thus succeeding in targeting nodejs would turn ur into a general purpose
language fast.

> Maybe some kind of improved FFI would help, but rewriting the whole
> compiler to support generating PHP?
Forget about PHP. Sorry for mentioning it :)
its only interesting for "low traffic sites" where the customer knowns
how to unzip the code base himself.

Today there is mostly Server/Web. But in the future there will be
clients such as smart phone/windows 8 apps as well google glasses
extensions and the like ..

I care less about "source code transformation" - as Adam said there may
be tons of tools soon. I care more about "how to describe my
program/algorithm" so that it can be translated easily with minimal loss
(code size/speed/accuracy)

Marc Weber