[Ur] ANNOUNCE: uru - the jQuery widget wrappers with a demo

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:36:22 EDT 2013

On 10/11/2013 07:01 AM, Sergey Mironov wrote:
>> Can't you implement it as an FFI library, so that folks know when they're
>> explicitly including it?  I consider it a feature, not a bug, to make this
>> functionality a little hard to implement or include. ;)
>>
> OK, l'll rewrite it as a blessScript function. Looks like it is really
> the best solution for the moment.

Thanks.  I'm much happier with any option that programmers need to
enable explicitly in .urp files.

> And here I have a question about
> nested libraries. Does Ur/Web handle situation where several libraries
> (A,B,C) uses same library D (all three have `library D' directive) and
> the master project includes them all (A,B,C and D)?
> For example, when I make BlessScript.urp, I will want to use it in
> both uru library (currently, uru is not a library, but a set of *urs,
> but I plan to turn it into libray) and in master project. Will I be
> able to do it by simply listing BlessScript in both Uru.urp and
> App.urp?

I think this should work.  The compiler contains some logic for merging
together .urp directives in a smart way, including by not duplicating
.urs or .ur files in the combined list.  Said logic hasn't necessarily
been tested thoroughly in many different scenarios, but I think it's
worth trying, and submitting bug reports about anything that goes wrong.

>> Do you have a suggestion of good places to link to publicize such tools on
>> the Ur project site?
>>
> Sure, I think it would be nice to place the link under the
> http://www.impredicative.com/wiki/index.php/Libraries_and_FFI_bindings
> (I plan to turn uru into a library) but wiki also has
> http://www.impredicative.com/wiki/index.php/Ur-based_Projects which
> also match. Since both pages contains not too much items, what do you
> think about merging them into one page? Also, since it is one of the
> first thing user wants from wiki (at least , it was so for me), what
> do you think about moving all the links from both pages to the main
> wiki page to a separate section below others?

All of those changes sound reasonable, and I encourage you to implement
them yourself!  If you don't yet have a wiki account with write
privileges, please create an account and let me know its name, so I can
grant privileges.  (Writing is off by default, because we don't have
nearly a large enough community to do the spam policing that Wikipedia has.)

> Also, I have a problem with NivoSlider control, since it requires
> $(window).load() event handler, and<body onload=..>  happens too
> early. Authors suggest using
> <script>
> $(window).load(function() { ... nivo_slider_init(); .. });
> </script>
> So I used an ugly hack. I can wrap it in FFI together with
> blessScript, but just in case I miss something: Do we have a better
> way of calling things like this right now?

This is a jQuery-specific event hook?  I wouldn't want to include such
things with Ur/Web, but I would suggest adding library FFI code
following the model of, e.g., [onClick] that you can see in basis.urs now.

> PS
> Just noticed that blessScript is not the best name, because the
> function wouldn't have corresponding compiler-side blesser. But what
> do you think about introducing `allow script' directive? I probably
> can handle it if it is not that hard.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit on the functionality that you have in
mind?  I'm not sure I understand the proposal at a high level.