[Ur] Collecting Ur/Web examples

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Sat Apr 26 12:10:05 EDT 2014

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: I'm planning to write a paper about the full Ur/Web
language soon, and I'm looking for examples of "real" applications built
using it, with information on what they say about the design of the
language, good or bad.  Please let me know if you have a nontrivial
Ur/Web application that I don't already know about!

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me as I waited way too long for a
new release of the TechEmpower benchmarks
<http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/>.  I finally decided to cut a
release with the changes accumulated as of today, and I've just
announced it in the previous message on this list!

There are a few pending feature requests left, which I intend to see to
now that this release is out.

The main purpose of my message is: I already published research papers
about the core Ur language and about a static analysis for security.
The public information on the full Ur/Web language, however, is confined
to documentation on the project web site.  I'd like to finally write a
research paper on the Web-specific parts, including the approach to
GUIs, communication between server and clients, etc.

I think there are now enough production applications using Ur/Web that I
could structure an evaluation section of the paper around an analysis of
them.  For that reason, I'm writing to ask for any pointers to Ur/Web
applications that I may not know about.  There is a list of
production-quality applications here:
     http://www.impredicative.com/ur/users.html
...and I would update that list with any new ones that I learn about.

I'm also interested in:
* Applications that aren't quite at "production quality" yet, but that
might still be interesting to analyze.
* General enthusiasm about building something serious with Ur/Web. I
plan to submit this paper in early July, so there's plenty of time to
build something interesting from scratch!  I offer my personal support,
as usual, to people embarking on such projects.  As a bonus, you get
automatic visibility of your new web app among the
functional-programming crowd, via links on the page above and mentions
in the paper I'm working on!