[Ur] socket detaching

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 04:57:10 EDT 2014

Well, I really prefer not to use Apache for serving anything but the
completely static pages.

The first reason for this is the installation procedure of my
application. Basically, I want it to be as short as possible.
Installation of mlton/postgre/urweb chain is straightforward and the
correctness may be checked by simply running the application
(excellent thing - it fails to start if something is wrong with
postgres). The Apache-based design falls out of the scope of this
'check by running' method. Without Apache installation manual becomes
shorter and system administrator - less angry.

The second reason is the ability to control the [serve] function's
behavior. For example, my application should serve the firmware
tarballs to authorized users only. Authorization routine requires
parsing of fingerprint of the user's system and searching here and
there in the database. Integrating such things into Apache may be
tricky (actually, I have no idea how to communicate with Apache. May
cookies be used for that?).

I think you will say that I am talking about non-static content and
all non-static content should be stored in the database completely.
Well, for the most of the applications - maybe. But sometimes
application should interact with file-based backends and in those
cases controlling the [serve] logic is very desirable. For my
application, I am doing it via [val serveTarball : string ->
transaction page] right from the [main] function.

Regards,
Sergey