[Ur] Collecting Ur/Web examples

orchidaceae phalaenopsis orchid.hybrid at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 14:08:31 EDT 2014

Hello

Thanks a lot for adding the new ({{q}}) feature and helping me with
dynamic queries! Our app might be a bit simple but I thought it would
be nice to release it publicly since we just reached our first big
milestone: All the essential basic functionality is complete. We
intend to polish it a bit and add some extra features but it already
does everything we wanted.

It's a little image gallery site which lets you upload pictures, tag
them and then search by tags. Here is the source code:
https://github.com/yuuko273/Gallury

Here's some notes on the development:

* We use C to provide a function that makes small thumbnail images
from whatever is uploaded. It's very easy to add new features to Ur
this way!
* Originally we had a setup where nginx would host static content and
then proxy other requests through to the Ur web server and we were
using C to store uploaded images to the filesystem - Adam suggested
just storing the blobs in the SQL database directly and this let us
remove nginx from our stack and simplified the code lots.
* It feels really nice to have language level security against SQL
injection, this is the main reason we picked Ur/Web and while the
powerful type system is hard to get used to at first it's really
exciting to have strongly typed XML and all sorts of correctness
guarantees.
* Dealing with CSS is really awkward!

Looking forward to using Ur/Web more!