[Ur] Announcing the Ur/Web People Organizer

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Sun Apr 12 14:44:24 EDT 2015

I've been working since late 2014 on a new Ur/Web library for producing
custom event-planning apps quickly, by assembling highly parametrized
components.  It's now far enough along to do a first official release.
Here's the project site:
     http://upo.csail.mit.edu/
There can you find public demo versions of two apps that I've built for
internal use at MIT.

I'm pretty psyched about this library, UPO.  I think of it as a
principled way to replace hacky uses of Google Docs and co., without
increasing human effort dramatically.  It's rather pleasant to build a
customized app from a clean slate.  Neither of the demos showcased on
the site (URL above) needs more than 1000 lines of app-specific code,
but I hope you'll agree that they are decently featureful and slick.

Are you interested in trying to put together some kind of
people-organizing app using UPO?  I'm very keen to find early adopters,
and I'd be happy to work with you closely to explain how to use the
framework, add new components, etc.  The potential scope of this library
is very broad, so if you think you might be interested in trying it, I'd
suggest erring on the side of asking me about your use case, even if it
might not turn out to be a good fit.

UPO also lives on GitHub (a departure from the way that Ur/Web itself
has been managed as an open-source project), and I hope to interest many
of you in contributing new components!