[Ur] Live-coding demo (was: New website?)

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 17:59:21 EDT 2015

> This sounds like a great idea.  One of the qualities that makes it great is
> that I believe "the community" could tackle this as a generally useful
> open-source component, without me doing most of the work. ;)
>
> I agree that Ur/Web is unusually well positioned to drive such a service
> securely.  A little-known feature is language-enforced resource limits,
> configured with the 'limit' .urp directive (see the manual for details).  I
> believe they will be sufficient for a demo environment like this, with no
> other resource enforcement required, beyond possibly limiting how many demo
> apps can be running at once. (It becomes necessary to use SQLite to take
> full advantage of resource limits, as I could not find a lightweight way to
> limit database size for PostgreSQL or MySQL.)
>
> Sergey, anyone else out there: might I be able to interest you in
> implementing and/or hosting such a service?  I would be very happy to link
> to it prominently from the Ur project site!

I am quite busy at the moment. Probably, I'll have some time next
month to address the problem if nobody wants to do it.

For inspiration, one may checkout my old half-done project
urweb-pastebin.  I've made some necessary fixes to bring it back to
work (git clone ... && git submodule update --init && make). It should
be able to compile code and show the compilers output (and that is all
for now). Sorry, no live demo yet. The sources are located

https://github.com/grwlf/urweb-pastebin

The pastebin is built on top of urweb-callback library which I think
should be replaced with something less complex. Urweb-callback does
its job, but I don't like its design (it seemed nice to me at the time
I wrote it, but I am not happy with the result)

Regards,
Sergey