[Ur] Hamlet like XML, structured by indentation with tag autoclosing

Ziv Scully ziv at mit.edu
Thu Jun 18 17:55:30 EDT 2015

As far as I can see, the proposed changes do 3 things:

(1) Add a few new things especially for layout (the forall/foreach/etc.
sort of thing).
(2) Make normal XML a bit nicer by eliminating closing tags.
(3) Make XML mixed with Ur/Web "macros" less clunky by eliminating some
extra {} and <xml></xml> pairs.

(1) seems like it should be abandoned in favor of (3). I have no strong
opinion on (2). I think the clunkiness addressed by (3) is not that big of
a problem. It could be otherwise addressed by a more
syntactically lightweight alternative to the <xml></xml> pair.

I wonder if it would be possible for the parser to manage without explicit
<xml></xml> tags at all. I suspect that it is, maybe even with just
a preprocessing step on the input file. That, I think, would be a nicer
solution than introducing new XML-specific macros while reducing clunkiness
about as much.

As for monadic antiquoting: there is the ever-present issue of evaluation
order, which would be made implicit by this. Things like SQL queries would
make sense to allow, but things like SQL updates would not. This heuristic
already exists for ensuring GET requests don't have destructive effects,
but it seems like a decent amount of trouble to go through for something
that is arguably better when factored into frontend and backend anyway.

On Thursday, June 18, 2015, Gabriel Riba <gabriel at xarxaire.com