[Ur] The right way to do federated login in 2015?

Eran Meir eranmeir at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 05:12:10 EDT 2015

>From what I read, the two main alternatives for identity management are OIDC
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID_Connect>(OpenID Connect) and SAML
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Assertion_Markup_Language>.

OIDC, the 3rd version of OpenID is apparently more API-friendly than
previous versions and is backed up by some big names like Google, Yahoo,
Microsoft, etc.

SAML is more prevalent in the enterprise world, but doesn't play nice with
native (esp. mobile) applications.

If I had to risk a guess I would say OIDC will gradually replace SAML (or a
new system will replace both?), so I suggest supporting OIDC.

OIDC is basically OAuth2.0 + JWT
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON_Web_Token>. A gradual implementation
approach may be supporting those building blocks as Ur/Web libraries first.

Best regards,
Eran.