[Ur] Database migrations

Artyom Shalkhakov artyom.shalkhakov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 02:52:51 EST 2017

Hello all,

I'd like to see Ur/Web helping with database migrations. Currently, the
compiler will output an SQL script containing DDL statements to create the
schema from scratch.

Ur/Web largely follows a "code-first" approach: the program's code is
authoritative source of the database schema (or, put it differently,
program's code is enough to infer the definition of the database schema).

My idea is to have Ur/Web generate the database schema in a
database-independent format (e.g. as some simple JSON), and then use a tool
to find the diff/patch between two such schemas.

Having searched for off-the-shelf tools to help with generating DDL
statements given two schemas expressed in a database-independent format, I
came up with basically nothing that can be easily reused.[2]

I'm looking for help with the format definition (preferably something that
comes with tools: e.g. convert schema definition to DDL of target
database). Seems like the simplest/best way forward is to go with an
Ur/Web-specific tool.

--
Cheers,
Artyom Shalkhakov