[Ur] Arrays and maps?

Ziv Scully zivscully at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 11:19:17 EDT 2017

*tl;dr*: use modules and functors, not typeclasses.

Unlike Haskell, Ur/Web allows local typeclass instances. This means (for
concreteness, focusing on binary trees—similar for other examples) we can't
rely on being passed the same ord typeclass dictionary every time we call a
tree function. Instead, the comparison function has to somehow be built
into the tree object. One way to do this would be to include it in the tree
representation, but the Ur/Web compiler will probably be unable to inline
this extra closure, so it won't work on the server side. Another way, which
is probably the best option, is to use a functor to generate the tree
functions from an ord instance.

signature ORD = sig
  type t
  val t_ord : ord t
end

functor Tree(M : ORD) = struct
end

Because ord is a typeclass, Ur/Web will fill in the signature by itself if
it can find an ord instance at the functor instantiation site.

structure MyTree = Tree(struct type t = myType end)

But now we know that all MyTree functions will use the same ord instance.