[Ur] Multitenancy

Simon Van Casteren simon.van.casteren at gmail.com
Sun May 13 09:48:27 EDT 2018

I considered it briefly as I was doing some research on the topic. It's the
first time I'll be running and deploying a SaaS app myself (I've so far
always been on the programming side only) so it felt more natural to me to
keep everything inside a single application. Running the application right
now consists of me ssh'ing into a Linode and running the exe by hand. If I
want to split this into one application per database (which does guarantee
data security better, that's really nice) then deployment seems to become
much more complicated.

But let's say I do go that route. Is using one of the new deployment tools
a good idea for a just-started scenario? I appreciate how ur/web uses very
basic and simple tools, eg: Using curl in the Worldffi project to do HTTP
requests, not having editor tooling but having the compiler use standard
error formatting so emacs picks it up automatically. This is in strong
contrast to the javascript community where I normally reside, which likes
to re-implement things a lot. So I'd like to know what advice the community
has on the right tools for setting up a new application and database
automatically (probably via the C FFI?) and then running and updating them
together. I would like to note that adding and running new clients without
any manual work is strongly preferred.

Because I don't have any idea of how I would handle this adding and
deploying of clients, I can't weigh the two alternatives: Complicating the
app with tenantIds, or complicating the deployment with seperate apps.