[Ur] Tooling: type of an expression

Simon Van Casteren simon.van.casteren at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:22:24 EDT 2018

Urweb tooling is pretty limited compared to other languages. I knew that
when I started with it and so far I'm OK with it. Honestly, most of the
"modern" tooling I see in other ecosystems is a waste of time.

However, the one thing that would really cut dev time in half for me in
Ur/web (slightly exaggerated for effect) would be being able to have the
compiler tell me the type of an expression. You can go multiple levels deep
here:

- type of an identifier
- type of an expression at top level
- type of an expression in function definition, let-binding, etc

I'm sending this email to the mailing list to ask if something like this is
remotely possible, what kind of approach we can take and how we could go
about implementing it.

Any help much appreciated

Simon