[Ur] Any interest in bringing up a platform for virtual conferences?

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Fri Mar 20 18:46:35 EDT 2020

Some of you may remember the Ur/Web People Organizer (UPO) library
<http://upo.csail.mit.edu/> that I've mentioned a few times.  It's an
Ur/Web component library for rapid creation of applications to organize
people -- a pretty broad remit.  It uses a lot of metaprogramming to
write your application for you based on your database schema.

Suddenly an important variant of coordinating people is running a
virtual event.  For instance, many planned conferences have moved to
online substitutes, on short notice.  Events often have subtle
differences from each other while sharing many logistical elements.

I wonder what interest there is out there in developing enough new UPO
components to support virtual events.  For instance, I think it needs
good ways to interact with video-conferencing software to livestream
talks with Q&A, and to make the recorded videos available easily
afterward in perpetuity, integrated within sites that take advantage of
rich, per-event data schemas.

Would anyone like to join me in trying to plan out the required
functionality and divvy up the coding work?

Full disclosure: I'm still developing a startup-company concept that
could take advantage of that support.  The company is about, basically,
a very simplified IDE for snapping UPO components together, so that
people without programming experience can do it.  My idea is that the
underlying, programmer-focused library remains open forever, though.