[Ur] Problem including modules

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Sat Dec 12 19:08:25 EST 2009

David Snider wrote:
> I'm trying to adapt Crud.ur to take a wrapper as a parameter like you
> suggested, but I'm having trouble figuring out what the signature of
> masterPage is.
>
> Is there a way to get the compiler to print out the signatures similar to
> what SML does in interactive mode?

No, but there is a pretty general way to get a type printed for an
identifier.  To test the type of [foo], add this to your project:
     val bad : int = foo
When you try to compile, you'll get an error message saying that [int]
doesn't unify with [foo]'s type, or you'll learn that [foo] really has
type [int]. :)

For your particular function, it's likely that the type that's printed
will be pretty ugly.  I believe [masterPage] has a simple type that
would be easier to work out by hand.  The synonyms [page] and [xbody]
from the [Basis] module should make it possible to give a short type to
[masterPage].