[Ur] Feedback and questions

Artyom Shalkhakov artyom.shalkhakov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 03:38:07 EST 2009

Hello,

First off, thanks for making Ur/Web available to a wider audience.
I've been playing with it for a few days. Seems very nice. :-)

Weird things are happening with the attached program.

- the Unicode text is displayed correctly when pages are statically
generated (that is, in the case of postMain) but when a remote call
for data is made, the text is turned to garbage.

- a form generated by asyncMain is displayed incorrectly in Firefox
3.0 (somehow, both <input>s are moved outside of <body> tag), but okay
in Chromium and Midori.

I'm using Firefox 3.0 under Ubuntu 9.04, and SQLite.

What happens when an RPC fails? Is RPC synchronous or not? How is
asynchronous message passing implemented?

Also, how do you develop against Ur/Web? (e.g., when one uses a
mainstream scripting language, the development cycle goes like this:
"write or fix -> fire up a browser -> notice nothing works ->
repeat".)

Is REPL functionality planned?

And finally, is there a more accessible introduction for the rest of
us than the raw typing judgments in the manual? If not, what do you
recommend to read on type theory? (I'm interested in not only using
Ur/Web for shipping applications, but also in its inner workings.)

Cheers,
Artyom Shalkhakov.