[Ur] [Bulk] Seeking Ur/Web case studies

Manu chompmotte at yahoo.fr
Mon Sep 14 05:40:17 EDT 2009

Hi Adam

unfortunately I haven't had much time to do much with Ur/Web

I have used Rails in the past, and I've been thinking about giving
Django a cursory try (on Google App Engine)

I've wanted to code a very very small CMS and I suppose I could do it
in both Ur/Web and say, Django

unfortunately I can offer you no guarantee on when I would get around
doin' it.
When do you want to collect this data ideally ?

My intuition is that for somebody familiar with dynamic languages
(Django/Rails) and used to imperative programming, UR would take more
time
Maybe Java/C# people willing to take the plunge and learn FP would
fare better
The all-round programmer familiar with ML or Haskell, would certainly
be find UR/Web a win, since a lot of errors would be caught at compile
time...

The web space is awash with dynamic languages (PHP, Python, Ruby), I
am not sure why, maybe :
- most web sites are not deemed safety-critical pieces of software
(the public is used to web sites "not working well all the time")
- a lot of web programmers have no theoretical background in CS and
dynamic languages seem easier (in the sense 'eat now, pay the bill
later')

Cheers

Emmanuel