[Ur] [Bulk] Seeking Ur/Web case studies

gdp3 at cs.waikato.ac.nz gdp3 at cs.waikato.ac.nz
Fri Sep 25 07:33:17 EDT 2009

> David Snider wrote:
>> Adam Chlipala wrote:
>> Also keep in mind that Ur/Web is not implemented to work with the
>> model where you create a database and then interface with it.  Ur/Web
>> wants to control all database tables, and the database is really just
>> a backing store whose schema is generated from the Ur/Web
>> application's code.
>
> What are you expecting people with legacy data to do? This sounds like a
> deal breaker for most any real world web application.

This really isn't very different to the question as to how you get data
into web applications in general.  If you are using data that isn't
already inside your database engine of choice, then you have to import it.

If your data doesn't happen to be in exactly the same format as your
database schema dictates (i.e. your table structure and your data are not
exactly the same), then you need to write something to import that data
into your database in a sensible way.  This is a pretty ordinary thing in
*any* web environment, so I'm not sure why this would be a deal breaker
for "real world" applications, given that it is no greater task in Ur/Web
than it would be in Ruby on Rails or CakePHP or anything else with a
similar purpose.

Gian