[Ur] [Bulk] Seeking Ur/Web case studies

David Snider david at davidsnider.net
Fri Sep 25 13:23:34 EDT 2009

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:33:17 +1200 (NZST), gdp3 at cs.waikato.ac.nz wrote:
>> David Snider wrote:
>>> Adam Chlipala wrote:
> This is a pretty ordinary thing in
> *any* web environment, so I'm not sure why this would be a deal breaker
> for "real world" applications, given that it is no greater task in Ur/Web
> than it would be in Ruby on Rails or CakePHP or anything else with a
> similar purpose.
>
> Gian

With the other frameworks the process usually goes something like:
You have an existing database
You generate a data access layer for your application based off of the
database schema
You "map" your application code to the data access layer
It doesn't break the existing database structure

With Ur/Web (from what I understand):
You build your application model in ur/web
It generates a database schema
You have to import the legacy data into a computer generated database
schema
You can't use the old database
Any other applications that interface with the old database now have to be
rewritten