[Ur] Javascript toolkit integration

Karn Kallio tierpluspluslists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 09:46:48 EST 2010

> Davor Ocelic wrote:
> > Let me ask a specific question: let's say you wanted to insert a date
> >
> > selection widget with functionality such as:
> >    http://dojotoolkit.org/reference-guide/dijit/form/DateTextBox.html#dij
> >    it-form-datetextbox
> >
> > (Click "View example" on that page, as usual).
> >
> > Would you code it yourself, or use a toolkit?
>
> Wrapping an existing popular toolkit would be the easiest way to get
> started, but I think it would be best to build a library of native
> versions of these widgets eventually.

To support animation natively, I think Ur/Web will have to be able to express
sources over CSS properties and DOM information like the cursor position.  I
believe that without these sources animation will be difficult.  From looking
over basis.urs and the Ur Reference Manual, I think that to make an animated
sliding open window, we would have to have a static CSS file with styles for
all of the window positions. Also, without access to information like the
position of the cursor, effects like drawing a new window box beside the
cursor where the user clicked cannot be expressed.