[Ur] Javascript toolkit integration

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Sat Dec 11 10:31:29 EST 2010

Karn Kallio wrote:
> To support animation natively, I think Ur/Web will have to be able to express
> sources over CSS properties and DOM information like the cursor position.  I
> believe that without these sources animation will be difficult.  From looking
> over basis.urs and the Ur Reference Manual, I think that to make an animated
> sliding open window, we would have to have a static CSS file with styles for
> all of the window positions. Also, without access to information like the
> position of the cursor, effects like drawing a new window box beside the
> cursor where the user clicked cannot be expressed.

Yes, I make no claims about present suitability of Ur/Web for building
applications with animations.  It's easy to imagine simple extensions to
support this, though.

Personally, I consider it a useful feature for a language to guarantee
that no program that type-checks can contain animations, but I know
others feel differently. ;)