[Ur] Using Ur/Web to create standalone JS applications

Vag Vagoff vag.vagoff at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 11:58:32 EST 2010

On 12.12.2010 18:29, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> Vag Vagoff wrote:
>> On 12.12.2010 18:06, Marc Weber wrote:
>>
>>> Which kind of application do you have in mind where this really matters?
>>> Maybe we can help you find an alternative (Eg Amazon cloud like stuff)
>> > You are not specific enough. Which web application do you have in mind?
>>
>> Various small sites like business cards, web shops and forums.
>
> My suggestion is that, if Ur/Web still sounds promising to you from a purely technical standpoint, spend some time making sure it's really the right language for you. Just like its main influences ML and Haskell, it probably isn't appropriate for most programmers.

I'm coming from side of Haskell and Clean and I suppose that right choice of core computation model is functional eager one.
By the way, there is paper "Convergence in Language Design: A Case of Lightning Striking Four Times in the Same Place" by Van Roy
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.68.5837&rep=rep1&type=pdf

> If you still like it and lack of super-cheap hosting services is an issue, we may be able to work out some VPS sharing on this list. I wouldn't necessarily be against subsidizing a big chunk of the cost, if the language, tools, and community are being advanced.

I'm planning to attack the problem of tail call elimination a few months later.
It will enable emitting idiomatic imperative code from eager functional languages.
The idea is whole program analysis and tracking which function passed to which
and coupling them into one imperative function in the case of loops.

I've definitely decided to learn Ur. Thanks for support.

Vag.