[Ur] serving css from urweb

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Wed Jun 22 10:19:47 EDT 2011

Zach Tatlock wrote:
>> There is no standard way; I've always used a standard web server to serve
>> static CSS files.  Does your application require dynamic generation of CSS?
>>
> No, it just needs to be self contained.
>
> In general, removing dependence on external servers simplifies the
> overall system substantially.  It makes Ur/Web apps easier to spin up,
> move around, and modify; everything you need to worry about is in one
> place.

It would be easy to build some separate wrapper web server or deployment
tool to accomplish this (and distribute that code with Ur/Web), but the
goal is already so easy to attain with Lighttpd or Apache that it's not
high on my priority list.  We're generally talking ~3 lines of
configuration to connect to an Ur/Web app via FastCGI.

> Eventually, it would be great if Ur/Web could even bake in a (very
> simple!) DBMS, like sqlite.  Then you could access the full expressive
> power of Ur/Web without any hassle about setting up other services.
> Of course, you could still set up postgres or friends if required for
> performance.

Ur/Web already supports SQLite.  The first few sections of the manual
explain how to use it.

> Is there a way to get the fully qualified name of a style as a string?

There might be some hacky way to do it now, but I haven't intended to
expose such a feature.  Style names are very predictable from module
structure.