[Ur] serving css from urweb

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Thu Jun 23 08:52:07 EDT 2011

I've just pushed a changeset (to the public Ur/Web repo) which adds a
[show] type class instance for [css_class].  The idea of using this
sends a chill down my spine, but the customer is always right. :)

This idea of absolutely maximizing the ease of distributing "standalone
apps" is a new one to me.  I didn't expect it to be important to
people.  I'm working now (with a few others from this list) on a
commercial consulting job, developing an application for a customer.
The application is fully self-contained within a Mercurial repository,
but not all parts of that repo are processed by Ur/Web.  Instead, a
top-level README file gives 3 lines of Apache configuration that will
"mount" the static files and set up proxying to an urweb-produced
executable.  This seems so close to 0 cost that it's not worth worrying
about improvements.  I see clear advantages compared to generating CSS
styling in Ur/Web; for instance, the ability to edit CSS code with a
nice Emacs mode, rather than working within Ur/Web string literals.

For the last 10 years, I've been doing web programming only in
languages/frameworks that I've built myself, so I'm a bit out of touch
with the standard expectations in that field today. :)  Do frameworks
today all come with tools for distributing dynamic and static content
together with "one click deployment," or are folks on this list
expecting more from Ur/Web because of its closer integration with CSS, etc.?