[Ur] A direction for Ur/Web

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Mar 26 13:51:53 EDT 2011

Hi Gergely,

a) I talked to Adam in the past about whether its worth adding a
configuration file containing database setup.

See
http://www.impredicative.com/mantis/view.php?id=26

About wordpress:
What exactly do you want to make configurable?
- database access only?
- design (only change pictures and or CSS?)
  or should it be allowed to change HTML
  - which currently requires recompiling an app for urweb users?
  Do you want to write type safe template engines .. ?
  If you want to precompile them - does this fit urweb current design
  well? Don't think urweb is good at handling global state ?
  (I have to reread docs - so I may be wrong about this.)

> Ur/Web, thus having a low-level entry point for Ur/Web _users_. Being
> able to create themes for standard websites would be a plus.

The low entry point can only be achieved by
- teaching its theory (eg give hints about which books to read)
- write many tutorials.
  Although I've seen several .net languages, HaXe, Python, Ruby VimL,
  Java, JS, little Ocaml, Bash, Haskell ... I still feel I don't understand Ur
  at all. That's why I'm trying to read up more about its theory in my
  freetime.

However it'll still take a lot of time until I can say I understand the
most important concepts - and the particular "ur" implementation in
depth.

So urweb will never be as mainstream as PHP is.

Marc Weber