[Ur] "Fatal error: Non-printable character 4294967248 in string to SQLify"

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Sat Feb 25 16:04:55 EST 2012

Alexei Golovko wrote:
> What does "Fatal error: Non-printable character 4294967248 in string to SQLify" mean and how can I localize it?

That's coming from the runtime function to escape strings for inclusion
as literals in SQL code.  When I look at that code now, my conclusion is
that this error message is basically a placeholder saying "figure out
the right way to include such characters in literals for MySQL and
SQLite."  The current code uses a Postgres escape sequence if that's the
selected DBMS, and raises the error otherwise.

Does anyone know the proper way to include extended UTF-8 characters in
MySQL/SQLite string literals?  Perhaps it's just a matter of dropping
them in, which would still require some care to avoid code injection
vulnerabilities.