[Ur] mod_fcgid and Ur/Web

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Sat May 5 20:21:45 EDT 2012

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Excerpts from Adam Chlipala's message of Sat May 05 20:08:10 -0400 2012:
>> Why not just give "script.fcgi" a nicer name like "myApp"?  You can't
>> use .htaccess to tell Apache which files are FastCGI scripts?  Or is the
>> issue that the paths still wind up too long?
> Yeah, I dislike having to have that path component. :-)

You want to have one Ur/Web application binary mapped into URI space
without a prefix shared by exactly the page handlers managed by this
app?  Otherwise, I can't see how you lose any flexibility with the
current approach.  Keep in mind that an Ur/Web app has a few "special"
URI's that are at the level of the full app.  For instance, when using
server-to-client message passing, there is one URI used for all message
communication.  In such a case, it seems unavoidable to give each app
its own subtree of the URI space.

> There may be shenanigans in some hosting environments where
> having the fcgi is mandated (I can't remember if this was the
> case with scripts.mit.edu; I was testing a lot of variables
> simultaneously, and the broken 404s weren't helping.)

I'd certainly appreciate a patch to send 404 signals properly. ;)