[Ur] mod_fcgid and Ur/Web

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Sun May 6 12:43:43 EDT 2012

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Excerpts from Adam Chlipala's message of Sat May 05 20:21:45 -0400 2012:
>> You want to have one Ur/Web application binary mapped into URI space
>> without a prefix shared by exactly the page handlers managed by this
>> app? Otherwise, I can't see how you lose any flexibility with the
>> current approach. Keep in mind that an Ur/Web app has a few "special"
>> URI's that are at the level of the full app. For instance, when using
>> server-to-client message passing, there is one URI used for all
>> message communication. In such a case, it seems unavoidable to give
>> each app its own subtree of the URI space.
> Yes. The point of this particular exercise is I have a domain for my
> app, and I want to utilize all of the application.  There is no one
> else to be a good citizen with.

And where will the static files go?  You want the rule to be that some
URI prefixes are for static files, and everything else belongs to the app?

At least it sounds now like there is no deep problem with FastCGI
support in Ur/Web, where the worst known problem is forcing inclusion of
a URI prefix unique to the application.  There are also the wishlist
items about easier deployment including static files, and I'd still love
to read some suggestions on that subject.  As far as I understand,
Ur/Web isn't any worse off there than mainstream frameworks, and it
seems plausible to me that some deployment system can be built as an
external tool.  For instance, I use Autoconf for that purpose in one
closed-source project, where a .ur file is written containing the needed
information on URL generation.

>>> There may be shenanigans in some hosting environments where
>>> having the fcgi is mandated (I can't remember if this was the
>>> case with scripts.mit.edu; I was testing a lot of variables
>>> simultaneously, and the broken 404s weren't helping.)
>> I'd certainly appreciate a patch to send 404 signals properly. ;)
> Try this patch:

Works, thanks.  Just pushed it.