[Ur] mod_fcgid and Ur/Web

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Sun May 6 13:07:12 EDT 2012

Excerpts from Adam Chlipala's message of Sun May 06 12:43:43 -0400 2012:
> And where will the static files go?  You want the rule to be that some
> URI prefixes are for static files, and everything else belongs to the app?

That works. Alternatively, you can setup a rule where Apache serves up
a path if a corresponding file exists on the filesystem, and doesn't
otherwise.

> At least it sounds now like there is no deep problem with FastCGI
> support in Ur/Web, where the worst known problem is forcing inclusion of
> a URI prefix unique to the application.

Sure. You might want to add a note in the -protocol fastcgi section
of the manual, because I only discovered the prefix directive when
I went to read about static.

> There are also the wishlist
> items about easier deployment including static files, and I'd still love
> to read some suggestions on that subject.  As far as I understand,
> Ur/Web isn't any worse off there than mainstream frameworks, and it
> seems plausible to me that some deployment system can be built as an
> external tool.  For instance, I use Autoconf for that purpose in one
> closed-source project, where a .ur file is written containing the needed
> information on URL generation.

I thought you might suggest something like that. :-)  My
perspective on this issue has always been something like
autoconf is worth it when you have to deal with the arcana
of compiling C programs on a variety of different platforms,
and *so not worth it* if all you need to do is string interpolation.

Edward