[Ur] Very interesting, but mind-exploding

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 05:27:19 EST 2013

Dear Marcelo,
Equations you are talking about are really scary, but they are not
that important to start programming in Ur. I agree, that Appendix
would be a better place for them.
Here are some ideas which helped me to understand the syntax:
*) Explore Ur/Web standard library. It is in the urweb's sources,
lib/ur folder. lib/ur/basis.urs are the main one. Don't be afraid of
type signatures, look how those functions are used in tests and demos.
*) Ur tests are really handy. They are in the sources, tests/ folder
*) Check out existing projects:
http://dbpmail.net/essays/2013-05-21-literate-urweb-adventure.html is
a small but complete project so it is pretty nice to start with.
Mark's uwprocess library is very handy tool and an  excellent example
of employing FFI.
*) Write your own small project, use simpler subset of Ur/Web for
that. You may want to avoid type-level programming - datatypes,
constructors (con declarations), functions with type-level arguments
in [] (like fun f [typearg1] [typearg2] arg1 arg2 = ... ). Also
consider writing the project all-in-one-file for the first time.

Also, Ur\Web borrowed well-known concepts like Monad and Typeclasses
from Haskell, but the language itself is more like ML (and the main
part of the compiler is written in ML). So if you feel that you need
to learn the basics, try visiting http://mlton.org/ or other ML
resources.

Regards,
Sergey